|Date:||Thursday, October 30, 2014|
|Venue:||High Institute of Public Health, Alexandria University|
|Organized by:||EgyBiotech for Research and Biotechnology|
A modular course in health research based on the University of Leeds postgraduate diploma in health research. It is composed of 6 essential modules and 3 optional modules. Each module is 3 days long. Modules are taught once a month over Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
Aim of the course:
To provide a comprehensive step by step training on all aspects of the research process from idea development till research output.
Type of the course:
Modular course. Each module can be taken as a stand alone module or they can be combined into a full course. The course is composed of 6 essential modules and 3 optional modules which may or may not be selected by candidates for further study. Each module is taught over 2-3 full days.
Junior researchers, postgraduate degree students, CRAs and research trial coordinators, candidates interested in a research career, mid-career researchers aiming to start independent research projects
plenary session followed by small group activities, problem based learning sessions and practical application in all modules. For full course agenda , see files on event page.
Module 1: Introduction to Health Research
- Overview of the research business worldwide
- What does a career in research mean?
- Research career hierarchy in international research organizations
- Funding opportunities
- Financing considerations from the point of view of funding organizations
- Team building, capacity building and outsourcing
- Building a research portfolio
- Networking and international collaborations
- Research as part of academic degrees
- Innovation in research
- Developing research ideas
- Formulating research questions
- Searching the literature
- How to develop a focused search strategy
- Use of different bibliographic database platforms
- Using Bolean logic
- Truncation, wildcards and adjacency features
- Sorting, saving and organizing your search results
- Saving email alerts of searches
- Searching open internet locations
- The grey literature
- Using citation managers software